Bugs / BoguesRSS Feed
You have noticed bugs, anomalies, then report them here
Informations:
Number of messages: 1066
Number of posts: 4057
Last posted: 2024-01-11 - 21:26
Number of posts not read since your last visit: 0
Bookmark and Share
Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post

Google Contact Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low ResRSS Feed

John

Translate this message to:
BulgarianChinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechEnglishFinnishFrancaisGermanGreek
HindiItalianJapaneseNederlandsNorwegianPortugueseRussianSpanishSwedish
smile Posted 2013-08-08 - 17:39

Hi Memotoo --

Overall, my migration from Soocial to the full version of Memotoo using a temporary promotional code has gone very well. I use memotoo to sync contacts ONLY between 3 different GMail / GApps mail (contacts) accounts. I'm interested in the other more robust features, but haven't had the time to fully investigate how these work or how beneficial they would be for my wife and I. Regardless of my limited use, I fully expect I will enroll for the paid service once my trial month expires.

I have only two issues really.

#1 is that I'd love to be able to designate only certain GContacts categories to sync between particular Gmail accounts and the central memotoo database. My wife does not need my 300+ client contacts on her phone in addition to the 400+ or so contacts we legitimately share between us (I have already posted my support for this feature in another thread). --- NOTE: After writing my post in a txt editor, I just noticed on logging in that this feature might have been added last week!!! Very excited.

#2 is the true subject for this thread. On my android phone and google account (web based in Gmail), I have high resolution images associated with certain key contacts. Make for a nice interaction when close friends and relatives call or email to have a high quality image pop up full screen on my phone. At one point when I first set up memotoo, I noticed that all my images back on my phone were eventually (within a few hours of initiating the sync) degraded to 'fuzzy' images which I just assume is some lower resolution (but I can't tell the x by x pixel). I think the high res images on Jelly Bean are 720 x 720 and these sync just fine back and forth to the web version via Google Sync Services in Android. So, after the first (image degrading sync), I went back into my gmail and reassigned the high res images to the correct contacts and all was well for several days it seemed. Now I'm noticing that some (NOT all) of my contact images are back to low resolution. But, I can't figure out why certain ones are degraded and others are not. I assume they are ones where some data element has changed and memotoo is syncing between gmail / gapps accounts? The ones affected are contacts I use fairly frequently, but not ones I necessarily remember editing in the last few weeks.

Anyway, I hope you might be able to investigate this and potentially have some ideas of how to address it. To be fair to memotoo, I don't think Soocial was ever perfect at this (possibly something to do with the GContacts API, and I think they eventually discontinued and outbound 'pushing' of the image file and only brought in the image files from Google for new / changed contacts, but then did not send that new (likely lower res) image out to linked accounts. I'd be happy with that solution if it could be implemented here too.

I'm happy to help evaluate any fixes that might be tried so that my high res images stay put over time!! Thanks again for offering this great service.

Best,

JG

7 Replie(s)
Thomas - Webmaster Memotoo

smile Posted 2013-08-17 - 10:27     Subject: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Hi John

Welcome on Memotoo

#1 Since last 2 weeks, you can now choose which Memotoo group you want sync with Gmail:
https://blog.memotoo.com/news/2013/08/02/

#2 It is not possible to get good resolution from Google with Google API v3 -> only 96x96 pixels. So I have added your solution and now only photos modified are sent to Google. For example:
- you modify an email of one Memotoo contact with photo, the email is sent to Gmail but not the photo
- you update a photo of one Memotoo contact, the photo is sent to Gmail
- you modify one Gmail contact with photo, if the Memotoo photo is the same as Gmail, the photo with resolution 96x96 pixels is not updated

Jonas

smile Posted 2013-08-18 - 22:17     Subject: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

I had exactly the same issues as John after having switched now to Memotoo from Soocial.
It sounds great that you now have a solution!

In addition to Johns second issue:
#2b After syncing my contacts' profile images with Linkedin, all their images have changed to low-resolution...
I can manually change them back in the Address Book on my Mac, but I don't really like to do all that work, as I guess Memotoo will destroy them again in the next sync...
Is it possible to get hi-res contact images from LinkedIn to Memotoo?

#2c The same issue and question as 2c, but for the Facebook sync.

#3 Please make it possible to actually see hi-res contact images on the Contact page on www.memotoo.com! (Maybe a setting for "Contact Image Size"? Or just increase the size a bit...)

John said: "I'm happy to help evaluate any fixes that might be tried so that my high res images stay put over time!! Thanks again for offering this great service."
The same goes for me!

Thank you in advance!

smile Posted 2013-08-19 - 18:39     Subject: Re: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Hi Jonas

Thanks to evaluate Memotoo and welcome too on Memotoo

#2b Do not choose the option "Update only the empty information of this contact in Memotoo with the information found in LinkedIn + update always the LinkedIn photo" (choose just "Update only the empty information of this contact in Memotoo with the information found in LinkedIn"), it is normal that the pictures are remplaced with the pictures of LinkedIn.
For the LinkedIn sync, I can not increase the quality of the pictures because their API do not permit it ...

#2c Memotoo now sync Facebook pictures in better quality Try to sync again and you will see the pictures will be bigger
https://www.memotoo.com/my-addressbook-and-contacts.php?syncFacebook=1

#3 Now you have a link direct to the picture full size:

John

smile Posted 2013-08-20 - 20:59     Subject: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Hi Thomas and thanks again for being so responsive to new users coming in from Soocial. I signed up today for my 1 year premium membership. Very excited to have this capability fully back.

With regard to the GContact photos -- is there any setting to control the logic? or is it just the way it will work for those contacts? (I assume no settings to play with... I'm sure no one would intentionally have their high resolution images overwritten with 96x96!!).

Also, I must assume that the contact images have the same file name regardless of whether they are 720x720 or 96x96? So it's the file name that matters. If I place a new high res image in my GContacts, it will correctly be adopted into MemoToo.... (But not sent back down to my other GContacts accounts! That is a limitation of this workaround, but not a problem caused by memotoo. Google must fix this api)

Thanks

John

smile Posted 2013-08-26 - 10:06     Subject: Re: Re: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Normally if you place a new high res image in your GContacts, it is updated in Memotoo, and after send to the other Gmail account.
Can you send me by email at webmaster@memotoo.com, the name of this contact ?

John

smile Posted 2013-08-26 - 21:18     Subject: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Hi Thomas --

I'm not currently having any issues with my photos. All seems to be working well as you described.

I think I was posing a hypothetical question that you interpreted as an issue. I was merely wondering if the file name mattered when I was "fixing" my low res images. In other words, if I had a 96x96 image for a contact and replaced the image (in Gmail) with a high res version with the exact same file name, I wasn't sure if Memotoo would see that as a "change" with a new photo -- since the API only allows for 96x96 anyway.

However, I guess this worked out fine since all my contacts seem OK and are holding their high res state in my gmail accounts (and not being degraded back to low res). I guess my understanding of the API was that you CANNOT receive a high res image FROM Gmail therefore, you cannot send a proper high res file back to Gmail accounts? Is that correct?

I do have one other issue though (related to contact "Groups"-- I'll post a new thread since it's unrelated to contact images...

smile Posted 2013-08-27 - 16:16     Subject: Re: Re: Google Contact Photos - High Res degrading to Low Res

Gmail send to Memotoo only photo 96x96 pixels...
When Memotoo send a high resolution photo to Gmail, Gmail resize it ...

Memotoo Cloud Add Memotoo widgets to iGoogleiGoogle, NetvibesNetvibes.com, Windows VistaWindows Vista, Apple DashboardMac OS X, ...
Learn more ยป
Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post