Memotoo
Questions about how use MemotooRSS Feed
You wonder how it works, what is the usefulness of Memotoo.com, ...
Informations:
Number of messages: 684
Number of posts: 2355
Last posted: 2024-04-05 - 14:55
Number of posts not read since your last visit: 0
Bookmark and Share
Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post

I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge groups?RSS Feed

Peter

Translate this message to:
BulgarianChinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechEnglishFinnishFrancaisGermanGreek
HindiItalianJapaneseNederlandsNorwegianPortugueseRussianSpanishSwedish
smile Posted 2013-07-11 - 07:18

I was a happy user of my last solution (Soocial, and GSyncIt before that) but since Soocial is closing it's doors this month I have had to look around for a replacement. Most people recommended Memotoo, and indeed it has a good reputation, been around for a while, and has a lot of options.

In my previous contact solutions, sharing groups was effortless. Not so with Memotoo, but I was able to find a workaround to some of the problems I've encountered (using four paid memotoo accounts in order to selectively sync different combinations of groups to four different gmail accounts for example). What worked effortlessly in previous contact sync solutions like Soocial and GSyncIt was that you could match up Gmail groups with Outlook categories or groups on a device, and they were treated as one group. After syncing with Memotoo however a separate group has been created for each location the group was on with my previous solution; for example instead of having one "Personal Contacts" group, after syncing with Memotoo I now have one from my Blackberry, one from Gmail, one from my wife's gmail, and one from her phone, and would probably have one from Outlook after syncing that too.

How can I share my groups, selectively syncing them between multiple gmail accounts, phones, and Outlook on multiple computers? As mentioned above, I have tried to get around selectively syncing to different gmail accounts by creating four paid Memotoo memberships, and sharing groups as required. This has created a nightmare of duplicate groups though, because these contacts and groups are already on all of these accounts and devices. What I would pay to get something simple setup like I had with Soocial!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

5 Replie(s)
Thomas - Webmaster Memotoo

smile Posted 2013-07-11 - 10:04     Subject: Re: I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge gro

To merge groups:
1. go to the group
2. select the contacts
3. and move them to the other group
(after delete the old group)

More informations here:
http://wiki.memotoo.com/wiki/How_to_move,_delete,_share_..._contacts_and_groups#...

Peter

smile Posted 2013-07-11 - 20:56     Subject: Re: I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge gro

Thanks for your reply Thomas.That would seem like a logical cleanup, but I am still stuck.

The end result I need is one copy of each group, shared with whichever gmail accounts, devices, and outlook/PC's that group needs to be shared with.

To get to that end, I have tried sharing one of the groups with one of the other three memotoo accounts I have. This gets me duplicate groups with the same name on that memotoo account.

When I try to move the contacts from the un-shared duplicate group to the shared group, I can only see one of each group listed in the Move-To-Group drop-down menu. If I try that group (hoping it is the shared group) no changes are made after I click the Submit button, no contacts are actually moved. I have tried renaming the shared group, to see if it will show up in the Move-To-Group drop-down menu, but it does not show up- it still only shows one of each group and not the renamed shared group.

It looks like I can't move any contacts to a shared group. Is that the case? Can you provide a work-around?

I will keep playing with it for a couple more hours, but I have already spent several hours trying to get it to work. I appreciate your help and suggestions- I am determined to make it work now after spending this much time on it!

P.S.: Sorry if I sound grumpy- you can imagine how frustrating this can get after hours of trying.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter

smile Posted 2013-07-11 - 21:53     Subject: Re: I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge gro

Update: I tried creating a completely new group and sharing it, to rule out any problems from having 1 shared and 1 not shared group with the same name. I could not move a contact into the new shared group. So it looks like my problem is just not being able to move contacts into a shared group. Am I doing something wrong? Is this not an option?

I think it would pretty crucial to be able to move contacts into shared groups- hope this is possible.

Peter

smile Posted 2013-07-12 - 16:01     Subject: Re: I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge gro

Peter, "move" function works only with "normal" groups (= not shared)
Export the contacts you want move and import them import in the account of the group shared:
https://www.memotoo.com/my-addressbook-and-contacts-how-to-import-and-export.php

For information, you could add new contacts in all accounts in the shared group.

Peter

smile Posted 2013-07-15 - 07:05     Subject: Re: I'm getting duplicate groups after my initial sync (after moving from Soocial). How to merge gro

I think I found a way to make it work for me.

1. I will export all of my contacts into a CSV spreadsheet, then

2. delete all my contacts from all of my gmail accounts, mobile phones, and tablets (and memotoo accounts)

3. Import master contacts list into one memotoo account to act as a master database, then share it with my other three memotoo accounts to selectively share groups with my other gmail accounts and devices.

4. Set a reminder to regularly log in to all four of my memotoo accounts to look for new contacts, and manually delete them after adding them to my master memotoo account.

This is not as streamlined or maintenance-free as my previous solutions, but that is the past... at least it should work. It is essentially wiping my slate clean and starting from scratch with my 1000+ contacts. Will have to manually add their photos as well. Hopefully this works out ok, but will post questions or problems if they pop up.

Thanks for the quick replies to my questions.

Memotoo Cloud My Address Book Ask my contacts to update their information
Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post