Memotoo
Questions about how use MemotooRSS Feed
You wonder how it works, what is the usefulness of Memotoo.com, ...
Informations:
Number of messages: 684
Number of posts: 2355
Last posted: 2024-04-05 - 14:55
Number of posts not read since your last visit: 0
Bookmark and Share
Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post

Sync only one category with Google Contacts Google Contacts / CalendarRSS Feed

CPBJP7

Translate this message to:
BulgarianChinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechEnglishFinnishFrancaisGermanGreek
HindiItalianJapaneseNederlandsNorwegianPortugueseRussianSpanishSwedish
smile Posted 2013-07-15 - 22:03

Hi,

I have all calendars, contacts, etc. and an Android phone. Happy user.

I have one category of conctacts and calendar for my wife. It's a breeze when she had an Android phone: I'd just sync one category of contacts and calendar with her Android phone, and voilá.

But now my wife has an iPhone, and I'd like to do the same: sync only one category of contacts and calendar with her iPhone. I do contacts with Funambol sync, but it's not good: always have to do manual sync (which she never does) and changes we make (on her iPhone, or on Memotoo, or on my Android) don't sync immediatelly.

The solution, I think, would be to sync calendar and contacts with her Google account and that with her iPhone. But I don't want to sync ALL Memotoo categories with her account: I want to sync only a single category.

Can that be done? How?

Thanks,

Michael

Memotoo Cloud My Calendar Schedule an event with your contacts
Sunday 19 Monday 20
Yes No

10 Replie(s)
Thomas - Webmaster Memotoo

smile Posted 2013-07-17 - 07:25     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Hi Michael

Try to use Synthesis SyncML instead of Funambol on the iPhone of your wife:
https://www.memotoo.com/de/how-to-sync-your-apple-iphone.php?buttonSelected=synt...
I think it will be better

John

smile Posted 2013-07-19 - 18:40     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

I am a former Soocial user and brand new to Memotoo using a 30 day pro trial I found at the Soocial blog. Seems that Memotoo appears to be the leading candidate to replace Soocial for contact syncing (among commenters on Soocial's 'goodbye' blog post. So far (4 hours in...), I'm very impressed.

However, I have the same general issue as the OP in this thread.... I came to the forum just now to post about 'partial' syncing among my GMail accounts and this post was already at the top of the list.... so here I go: I'm actually mainly focused on syncing a subset of my contacts (which are fully synced across 3 distinct GApps accounts and 1 "GMail1" account) with her gmail account "GMail2." We are both android users but device is not material to the issue since I want to use google services to get contacts on our phones. In Soocial, I could just designate my wife's Gmail2 'connection' to only sync certain categories (as well as no-category contacts. With this approach, my 4 connections (3 GApps and GMail1) always held the master records including all contacts in her GMail2.

I saw in the wiki that it's possible to designate certain categories to be synced, but that seems to apply across ALL connections (it appears that this setting cannot be designated for particular connections / contact accounts)... so that wouldn't work for me. Hoping I may be missing something or that this might be feature on the roadmap.

Thanks,

JG

Michael (originally CPBJP7 for some reason)

smile Posted 2013-07-19 - 20:50     Subject: Re: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Thomas,

Unfortunately, Synthesis will only sync contacts, apparently. That's what it says when I choose Synthesis to sync on the iPhone.

I'll keep investigating...

Michael

smile Posted 2013-07-19 - 21:01     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

John,

We also both had Androids, and in Memotoo I have categories like Work, Personal, Family, Wife, Cell Phone, etc.

I never had any problem syncing only some categories. The way I did was to add SyncML account on each Android phone, and follow Memotoo's instructions on syncing only some categorie(s). In this case, the SyncML folder is followed by one or more numbers, each one corresponding to a category. WHen you pick which categories you want to sync, Memotoo will complete the folder with the appropriate names for you to use. Example: syncml/contact.12345.67890 (where 12345 is one category and 67890 is for another one).

This may sound complicated but it's not: simply choose SyncML as the syncing service in Memotoo, follow the wizard to select categories, and then on the Androids enter the right URL and folder name.

On my phone I synced categories Personal, Cell Phone, Work. On my wife's, only category Wife. Numbers that in Memotoo were in both Cell and Wife would be synced between each of our phones. Numbers that were under Work would never reach her phone.

On most devices syncing via SyncML accounts should work fine. But I had a problem with the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 that was duplicating contacts and events each time it synced. That was an old phone, and a problem with Sony Ericsson, not Memotoo. So I ended up using a third-party sync app, Synthesis (synhtesis.ch, I think). I used that since the Palm days, and it worked great.

On my Galaxy Ace, I didn't have much syncing problems, except that the Ace seemed to be creating some categories with numbers in them. No problem, just that I had to eventually erase them from Memotoo. It was something I'd never notice on the Ace itself.

Now with my Galaxy S4 I just added the Google account and am syncing all categories through there. The S4 has much more power and has no problem syncing and storing 1500+ contacts. But notice that to sync with Google, unfortunately it's all or nothing (i.e., all contacts and calendar - no way to select categories).

I wanted to use Google account to sync with my wife's iPhone, but it doesn't natively support any format that allows me to pick categories. So too bad for the mean time.

So, basically add SyncML accounts on each Android device, with the right categorie(s) for each one.

smile Posted 2013-07-19 - 21:07     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Thomas,

I also checked iCloud, but no category choice either... :-/

But I just checked that if I choose CalDav then I can actually pick one category and it shows a server address with a category at the end: https://sync.memotoo.com:443/CalDAV/125734/

When I then click on "iPhone" it then moves on and the category choice no longer appears.

I don't have the iPhone with me, but later on I'll try with the address above.

smile Posted 2013-07-21 - 17:26     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Now you can sync only one Memotoo category with your iPhone and iPad with CalDAV sync:

Go here to configure your iPhone:
https://www.memotoo.com/how-to-sync-your-apple-iphone.php?buttonSelected=caldav

John

smile Posted 2013-07-22 - 18:09     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Michael -- thanks for the suggestions on syncing only certain categories between memotoo and android phones. However, for the reasons you mention (duplicates, conflicts, etc..), i have chosen to sync core PIM data to/from our phones ONLY via the google services... I don't have the time to figure out and fix issues on our phones. This is also important for my wife and me since we mainly use Gmail / GApps mail on our computers for email, so I would need the GMatil/GApps contacts up to date and correct on the Google account as well anyway.

So, for now, I'll just not sync my wife's account with my other ones. Hopefully this selective category contact syncing among / between Gmail/GApps accounts is a function / feature that might be added soon to memotoo...

Michael

smile Posted 2013-08-08 - 15:28     Subject: Re: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Thomas,

Great stuff about syncing CalDAV with only one Memotoo category and iPhone. I just set it up and it works!

Just two comments / questions:

1) Caution when renaming the calendar on the iPhone: for some reason the URL changes back to defatult user URL, and then ALL Memotoo categories appear listed as calendars on the iPhone. Edit URL and all good again.

2) Will the same work with contacts (CardDAV)? That would be the cherry on the top of the cake.

Thanks again,

Michael

smile Posted 2013-08-16 - 10:57     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Michael,

For CardDAV, it will not possible because iPhone can not permit to edit the URL for CardDAV sync ...

Michael

smile Posted 2013-08-18 - 21:30     Subject: Re: Sync only one category with Google Contacts / Calendar

Thomas,

I imagined that... Too bad. Anyway, it's working going the long way round: Memotoo -> Google -> iPhone.

Michael

Return to the forum - Forums list - Reply to this post - New message - Search a postSearch a post